Irradiation run 2017
The registration of the irradiation experiments for the run 2017 of IRRAD is OPEN (6/3/2017)
- Call for Irradiation Experiments 2017 (download here)
- Click here to register samples or experiments
- Click here for details about the IRRAD Cabling Infrastructure
- How to package the samples for the IRRAD3 and IRRAD7 tables: download here (please replace crepe-paper tape with kapton tape in the pakaging assembly)
- Standard 3-arms support for the IRRAD3 and IRRAD7 table: download drawing here
- Standard support for the IRRAD9 and IRRAD13 table: download drawing here
- Standard support for the IRRAD5 and IRRAD11 cold boxes: download drawing here. Support for ATLAS experiments (see here)
- List of IMPACT ACTIVITES valid for the run 2017 of IRRAD
Dedicated IRRAD Safety Course
15 March 2016: New training rank "IRRAD" now available on SIR
From May 1st, 2016 the validity of this training rank will be verifierd by the access system during the beam operation periods only.
Please, make sure that you pass this new SIR course in order to maintain valid the access right to the irradiation area.
- List of requirements to ACCESS THE IRRAD FACILITY
AIDA-2020 Transnational Access
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCEDURE FOR AIDA-2020 TRANSNATIONAL ACCESS ARE AVAILABLE HERE
IRRAD Facility Description
The IRRAD proton facility is located on the T8 beam-line at the CERN PS East Hall (building 157) where the primary proton beam with a momentum of 24GeV/c is extracted from the PS ring. As shown in the figure below, the space allocated for irradiation tests in the East Hall is shared between two irradiation facilities: the IRRAD proton facility is located upstream while the CHARM mixed-field facilityis implemented downstream. Since most of the protons pass through the IRRAD facility without interacting, the mixed-field facility can profit from the same protons used by IRRAD. Inside CHARM, these protons impinge on a target surrounded by a well calculated shielding configuration.
The IRRAD proton irradiation facility at the PS East Area is maintained and operated by the irradiation team within the PH-DT-DD section at CERN.
|Location of the IRRAD proton area within the EA-IRRAD Facility in the CERN East Hall (building 157)|
The IRRAD facility is subdivided in three zones (going from upstream to downstream) according to the nature of the samples to be irradiated. In between each irradiation zone, a separation wall 80cm-thick (with a hole to allow the beam to pass through) is placed in order to reduce the radiation background during irradiation and to minimize the ambient equivalent dose to the personnel during the access to the area. As visible in the picture below, in order to reduce further the secondary radiation produced by the interaction of the proton beam with the air, section of vacuum beam-pipes are installed in the empty space between the installed irradiation systems.
Depending oh their size, the samples to be irradiated are positioned into the proton beam by means of a remote controlled SHUTTLE system or using the remote controlled TABLES located in the three irradiation zones.
|Detailed Layout of the IRRAD Proton Facility|
More information are available on the specification document AIDA Delivrable Report D8.4